6.01.2011

Sunny With A Chance Of Tantrums

Some days I feel like a total monster.  Monday afternoon was like this.

It moves in sequence.  My head starts to hurt, my energy wanes, my attitude dips below the "pleasant and professional" line, and my expression looks like I've just been told my life's vocation will be to lick stamps.

I think that maybe I need a snack.  So l nibble on some almonds, the fit-and-healthy choice of champions. 

But now I find that I've consumed enough almonds to feed all of the squirrels in Illinois until at least August.

It all happened so fast.

I like to think that I'm a pretty happy person, you know, cheery-with-a-chance-of-rain, but every now and again about twice a week,  it's like Mr. Hyde takes over and I become a showers-with-a-chance-of-sinkholes kind of girl, which makes me pretty hard to deal with.  Usually C just gives me a look of disdain and asks how he can fix it, which only makes me more ugly and inconsolable, and then I disappear for some alone time.  And some more almonds.


The best cure that I've found for the grumpies is a friend that doesn't care.  I have a friend like this named Amy.  Amy is terrific for a lot of reasons, but at the top of the pile is her ability to talk to me like a 27 year-old adult.  Well, most of the time.  She doesn't coddle my cranky attitude or snap at me with frustration, or even push me down the stairs like I deserve.  She just talks like I'm a normal human being (which is giving credit where very little is due), and suddenly the skies open up and the forecast starts looking crystal clear.

It's very similar to, when your favorite 3 year old falls and starts to whine, talking to them like they are fine, even happy.  Like they are riding down the slide at their favorite park.


So the next time your friend/spouse/buddy is acting like an angry rattlesnake, get your Amy on and talk to them like they can handle a little bad weather.  

Or you could just push them down the stairs and watch them drown in their own empty almond cans, like I they probably deserve.

1 comment:

  1. You know what this made me think of? "There's an app for that." :)

    I'm sooooo so glad we're friends.

    Need me to send you more almonds?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts