Get off the web.
Above all, and this is for you, sister, let the laundry wash itself. Go to the ocean, lay down your towel, pull out a your latest copy of Epicurean or Food & Wine, and eat a whole bag of Smartfood. Do it for me.
Then take a moment to thank the people who have forgone these holiday celebrations in lieu of service on our behalf.
You know who you are. Thank you.
This small list should begin to get your motor running. Summer only comes once a year, so make the most of your vacation days and your friends' gas mileage. You know the phrase "I'll do anything once"? Make it your motto as you take this summer out back and show it who's boss.
I know what you're thinking. It's a shame it didn't have his teeth.
You know who doesn't seem to care? This guy.
When you sing like that, you can get away with anything.
- Win something. Darts, Monopoly, the lottery, your volleyball game, a chicken fight in the pool – I don’t care what it is - just win it. If, like me, you aren’t super duper competitive, and you’re not sure that you can rise to the occasion, be sure to set your sights at a lower, more achievable level. Play 1980’s edition trivial pursuit with a 6 year-old or challenge your chain-smoking uncle to a see who can hold their breath the longest. You’re smart. I know you’ll find a way.
- Play with your food. The other night, C and I were at Ruby Tuesdays, where I had the most incredible spaghetti squash marinara (I went out and promptly bought a squash for my own attempt – I’ll let you know how messy it gets). They now give you these cheddar cheese biscuits when you arrive (Red Lobster envy?), and neither C nor I wanted them, so we made this instead.
- Eat something new. Go buy the spaghetti squash. Try unagi at the sushi bar. Cook with liquor (hopefully you do this already; do it again anyway). Do you know that there is a brand of peanut butter that uses maple syrup in the place of refined sugar?? I found some on the floor of my sister's car, and it is incredible. Unfortunately, grocery stores in the north (where ironically, much of our country’s maple syrup is produced) don’t carry this. Feel free to send me some.
- Get your hands on some of this sticky film, and go climb a building sideways. So what if it’s only been tested on a four-pound robot - the concept is sound.
- Have a movie night. I recommend buying (or renting, if you must) a 3-D flat screen television, because 1) I loved Avatar, and 2) you get to wear cool glasses like these.
Someone looks faaabulous! (source)
Sometimes when C and I are watching television at night, we’ll happen to pass over one of those infomercials advertising some kind of ab tor...
Our cabin has a moose theme. There are so many eyes on our furnishings that sometimes I feel like I'm being watched. We have moose lam...
I like to think that each of us has a small list of terrors that we’ve never been able to mentally conquer. I know I do. They say that a p...