5.09.2011

Excuse Me Sir, But You Sing Like An Angel


Beginning right now, I’m planning to post new blog entries on a MWF schedule.  I start a new job today, and no offense, but I don’t think it’s right to wake up at 4:30 every single morning just to hit you with another blast of verbal debris. I hope that you wouldn’t wake up that early for me.  So go ahead and breathe a sigh of relief: she’s finally going to shut up for a day.  Consider this your Christmas gift from me.  Your only Christmas gift.

Sundays are quickly becoming my favorite day here.  Last Sunday we went to church, had an epic bike ride, and ate a fantastic dinner.  This morning, we again went to said church, which was, again, terrific.  Today, while the congregation was singing at the beginning of the service, C and I had one of those special moments as a couple when you find yourselves thinking the very same thought at the very same instant.  What a rare and precious thing it is to realize together that the man who is leading your song is the one and only Johnny Cash.   

Yes, folks.  He’s alive, is in his mid 60’s, and has a mane that flows like MacGyver's. 

When you sing like that, you can get away with anything.

Really and truly, the guy at the microphone sounded just like the Man in Black.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all to learn that half of the people attending that church came just to hear him sing.  And friends, sing he could.  It was glorious. 

Following church, we went out to lunch with friends at the Black Frog, an establishment whose menu I’ve recommended checking out in a previous post.  Don’t let yourself get away with only reading a few items, either.  The menu is long, but the first read is phenomenal, like eating your first plate of fried pickles. Once you try them, you'll need to eat them again, like right now.

While these things were enough to make it a spectacular day, I just thought of two things that pushed it over the top.  One, I made spaghetti squash marinara tonight for dinner, a bullet point on last Tuesday’s list of ways to make the week awesome. It took until tonight to do it, but this meal was worth the wait.  Second, C and I watched some of our friends’ kids this weekend so they could have an overnight away.  The best quote of the adventure took place on Friday night when their young daughter was choosing a movie to watch, and referred to one of her favorites (the Princess & the Pea) as the Princess & the Pee in a Cup.   That's my kind of girl.

It happened Friday, but it’s still making me laugh today.  Here's to a week that makes you laugh like that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts