It may be gorgeous, but I'm not ready.
- From where I am sitting right now, I cannot see a puff of snow anywhere on the ground. And I can see a lot of ground from here, so this is a proof-positive miracle from heaven. Thank you.
- Tomorrow morning in our county, there will be dozens of hunters’ breakfasts hosted by supermarkets, camps, outdoor outfitters, and snowmobile clubs. Do you think that they would let me attend? I’d be the girl wearing a kitten t-shirt under her camo fleece and masking a [not-so] slight aversion to guns by smiling awkwardly and making pistol gestures with my hands. Can’t you hear my high-pitched shots? Peuw… peuw… peuw-peuw! Blow those guns out, hot shot!! I’d fit right in.
- November is the month of my sister’s second-favorite candy holiday, The Day After Halloween, as well as Thanksgiving (I am waiting for stuffing like a turkey for a pardon), my niece’s fifth birthday, and an upcoming trip-to-die-for to the equator with my sister and mom. I’m on the verge of making a paper chain to help me count down the days before the madness begins.
On top of being adorable, my niece has killer moves.
- Black Friday. My joy in Black Friday has nothing at all to do with joining the masses as they assault salespeople and destroy retail fixtures across the land. This is the first year in a little while that I won’t be the smiling elf on the other side of that register counter, and unless you have ever been that elf, you have no idea how excited I am for this day. I might stay home. I might go out. I might shop online. I might hole up at a cabin in the woods and not cross the threshold for anything except some glazed doughnuts and a walk in the woods. And I will not wear a sparkly headband with antlers.
- My first fall has come and winter is almost upon us, and I still do not own a camouflaged fleece. In fact, I don’t own anything in camo, except some incredibly thick Smartwool socks I bought a couple years back. You were right to doubt me in the second paragraph – I totally lied when I wrote that description. Well, not totally. I do have a kitten t-shirt (two, actually), and I love pistol hands.